Monday, May 11, 2009

The Perils of Pests


DAY 19 - 11th May 2009
From this....

to a very sorry this...


Even the blue slug pellets didn't stop the sneaky slugs munching Raphael's Busy Lizzies!

I keep removing caterpillars from the other flower beds, they tend to stay in our garden once hatched, plenty of food for them, they love the beans. Humanly, I remove it far away to eat someone elses beans!

The bean and pea patch's seem unaffected by the slugs and are thriving well. Raffi helps to water all the adjoining patches to his garden.


Raphael's radishes look pretty impressive so far. They are still living under the giant cloche giving protection from the wind and wandering pests. Daily watering has meant quick sprouting, interesting leaves.




A few days later they looked like this..



The potted nasturtiums have germinated quickly and will hang outside the kitchen window from their hooks. I anticipate a cascade of orange and yellow flowers to burst from the pots within a few weeks.

Raphael has a tray of Sweet Peas germinating in the green house. They will nearly be ready to plant out into their final growing positions. We just have to keep an eye on the weather - frost is sometimes a problem, even in May.


I have to confess to forgetting WHAT these young seedlings are! I know they are flowers and I know that they are colourful and are waiting to be transplanted to Raphael's Garden. I wish I could remember, I bought many seeds, all of them looked nice so I have every faith they will be wonderful they shall also be renamed the 'surprising flowers'!



No comments: