Sunday, May 17, 2009

Everything is growing and coming alive

"Quick Mummy its not raining , lets go outside.."

Raphael's tree seems to thrive on wet windy weather, growing vigorously with the leaves colouring a beautiful deep auburn. I photographed this yesterday between rain sprinkles!


Last week's radishes have been transplanted into the herb patch for their growing positions. They should establish themselves, growing longer and fatter in the rich soil. I have also planted Oregano, Curly Parsley and Peppermint (adore the smell).

How strong Raphael's Nasturtium's look, hanging from the fence outside my kitchen window. I can't wait for them to cascade down the sides.

The pests have arrived, white fly, greenfly, butterfly! This is my rose bush at the other side of the garden, literally being eaten alive. Daily, I remove the bugs by hand, with some success.

Raphael was absolutely thrilled to see a Cabbage White Butterfly flapping about our garden. "Mummy, mummy muuum", he cried, "take a picture"! I did, when he eventually landed on the budding honeysuckle, sunning his wings for a time. Raffi clapped his hands suddenly with excitement and the poor butterfly flew away in terror!




I am hoping that the weather will be a little kinder this week, howling winds and torrential rain have prevented any sort of activity the last few days! The plants of course LOVE the wet weather, as do the family of blackbirds living in the tree next door. Many a time they have been scavenging for worms when the rains have stopped.

This is Eric's bean patch, he is so very proud of his budding beans. Eric eats the beans peeled and raw from the pod. We have tried growing English Broad Beans but taste is just too hard and woody. Our aim is to grow and recreate the beans he so loves from Beirut. We bought a pack of seeds imported from Lebanon from one of our local Arabic stores. I hope they taste as good as these young seedlings look.

This is my flowerbed, I took these shots low down, I liked the result, adds colour to this blog and a touch of mystery.












No comments: